Jordan Program (Baptism Preparation)
What are the requirements for having my infant child baptized at Holy Family?
- Being registered, active members of Holy Family Parish for at least six months before baptism or providing verification of active parish membership from their previous pastor.
- Completing the Jordan Program
- Having at least one full, initiated Catholic godparent at the baptism. While two godparents are preferred (one of each gender), Canon Law requires at least one. A Christian of another denomination may serve as a Christian witness alongside a single Catholic godparent.
What is the Jordan Program?
- The Jordan Program is a preparation class for parents wishing to have their child baptized. Discussions at these sessions include symbolism of baptism, selection of godparents and faith development in children.
When are classes held?
- Jordan Program classes are held on the third Sunday of each month. Contact the parish office at 816-436-9200 for more information.
How long do the classes last?
- Jordan Program classes last two hours.
When should expectant parents attend classes?
- Early in their pregnancy and before selecting godparents.
What does the person selected as a godparent or Christian witness have to do before the baptism?
- The godparent must submit an eligibility certificate, signed by their current pastor and sealed with their parish’s seal.
- A Christian witness must provide a verification form from their pastor that indicates that he or she is a practicing Christian.
When are baptisms held?
- Baptisms are held the second Saturday of the month at 11 a.m. or after the 11 a.m. Mass the last weekend of the month.